If we say we love and believe in Yeshua and God and say we do not need the 10 Commandments which make up the Spiritual base of what we believe then how can we say we comply with the first Commandment which is to Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and everything withiin you , and to be ready to keep His Commandments. How do we comply if we are prepared to say we do not need them, when quite clearly we do.
If you take a close look at the 10 Commandments that God gave to mankind – via Moses we can see that by following them we are indeed complying with what God had laid out to us. Yeshua did not come to change any of it but rather to fulfil it – yet even He said that he had not come to get rid of the law – in fact He makes it very clear in Matthew that we are to keep the commandments, even in 1 Corinthians 7, Paul is making it clear that they are important – does not say that we are to stop obeying them – in fact the passage reads as such (from the Complete Jewish Bible)
1 Corinthians 7 : verses 18 -19
18) Was someone already circumcised when he was called?, then he should not try to remove the marks of his circumcision. Was someone uncircumcised when he was called? He should’nt undergo b’rit-milah (circumcision).
19) Being circumcised means nothing, and being uncircumcised means nothing; what does mean something is keeping Gods commandments.
In Matthew 24 Yeshua speaks plainly –
4) Yeshua replied “watch out! Don’t let anyone fool you!
5) for many will come in my name, saying ‘I am the Messiah’ and they will lead many astray
6) You will hear the noise of wars nearby and the news of wars far off; see to it that you don’t become frightened . Such things must happen, but the end is yet to come.
7) For peoples will fight each other, nations will fight each other, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various parts of the world
8) All this is but the beginning of the “birth pains”
9) At that time you will be arrested and handed over to be punished and put to death, and all peoples will hate you because of me.
10) At that time many will be trapped into betraying and hating each other
11) Many false prophets will appear and fool many people;
12) And many people’s love will grow cold because of the increased distance from the Torah (Covenants, Commandment, Teachings of God).
13) But whoever holds out till the end will be delivered
14) And the Good News about the Kingdom will be announced throughout the whold world as a witness to all the Goyim, (Pagans, Unbelievers) It is then that the end will come.
15) “So when you see the abomination that causes desolation spoken about through the propeht Daniel standing in the Holy Place” (let the reader understand the allusion),
16) “that will be the time for those in Y’hudah to escape to the hills,
17) if someone is on the roof, he must not go down to gather his belongings from is house,
18) If someone is in the field, he must not turn back to get his coat.
19) What a terrible time it will be for pregnant women and nursing mothers!
20) Pray that you will not have to escape in winter or on Shabbat.
21) For there will trouble then worse than there has ever been from the beginning of the world until now, and there will be nothing like it again.
22) Indeed, if the length of this time had not been limited, no one wold survive, but for the sake of those who have been chosen, its length will be limited.
23) “At that time, if someone says to you “look! Here is the Messiah! or, there he is” do not believe him.
24) “For there will appear the false Messiahs and false prophets performing great miracles – amazing things – so as to fool even the chosen, if possible.
25) There I have told you in advance!
26) So if people say to you, “listen, he is out in the desert! don’t go, or “look! He’s hidden away in a secret room!” don’t believe it.
27) For when the Son of Man does come, it will be like lightening that flashed out of the east and fills the sky to the western horizon.
28) Wherever there’s a dead body, that’s where you find the vultures.
29) Immediately following the trouble of those times,
The sun will grow dark, the moon will stop shinning, the starts will fall from the sky, and the powers in heaven will be shaken.
30) The sign of the Son of Man will appear in the Sky, all tribes of the Land (Earth) will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with tremendous power and glory.
31) He will send out his angels with a great Shofar (Trumpet) and they will gather together his chosen people from the four winds, from one end of the heave to the other.
31) Now let the fig tree teach you its lesson; when its branches begin to sprout and leave appear, you know that summer is approaching
32) In the same way, when you see all these things, you are to know that the time is near, right at the door.
34) Yes! I tell you that this people will certainly not pass away before all these things happen.
35) Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
36) But when that day and hour will come, no one knows – not the angels in heaven, not the Son, only the Father.
37) For the Son of Man’s coming will be just as it was in the days of Noah.
38) Back then, before the Flood, people went on eating and drinking, taking wives and becoming wives, right up till the day Noah entered the ark
39) and they didn’t know what was happening until the Flood came and swept them all away. It will be just like that when the Son of Man comes.
40) Then there will be two men in a field – one will be taken and the other left behind.
41) There will be two women grinding flour at the mill – one will be taken and the other left behind.
42) So stay alert, because you don’t know on what day the Lord will come.
For me it is very important to understand the times we are living in, for me it has been a journey of discovery from the time I was 21 till now, I have been very keen to find out what Yeshua was teaching, we who were not brought up in any religion or practices we have a journey that is challenging. When I first started to Trust God which was after an incredible bad time in my life, I had been very ill with chronic nervous indigestion (which may not mean much) but when you are unable to eat or drink anything without throwing up all the time, you develop a sense of not wanting to eat or drink because of the trouble it causes you. However, when I was really ill and felt I was dying I cried out to God and told him I did not believe in him but would he please heal me, during that time I had read Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, but did not believe it – nor could I believe that same Yeshua could save my life – however, to tell you that when the weight lifted off my chest and I was able to breath again and could get up without pain and to enjoy eating without the problems it does make you realise that you are definitely not alone – then I started to read the Bible seriously and look at all the amazing things that God had done throughout all of the History of Mankind, how when the house of Israel turned their back on God and forgot His Commandments, his statutes, his laws, his very teachings that Israel was taken captive and became a slave nation – but then when one of the people rediscovered the Laws of God and started to keep them then their nation was blessed and brought out of captivity and slavery. So when you thing of your own life and you think of Yeshua hanging on the Tree for you and realise that His life was given so that you may have an opportunity to return to the Father knowing that Yeshua had made the ultimate sacrifice – that by being obedient even unto death He gave us the Atonement for our sins and our lawlessness ways.
For me to come back to the Father and start to take some inspiration from the Word of God on how to live our lives by following the 10 Commandments we realise that if all the nations were to live according to the same Commandments as God had intended then we would have a Peace on this Earth – but we cannot have it until we come back to the Father and ask for forgiveness for our backsliding and our lack of knowledge and understanding of His divine plan for Humanity. What an incredible place this world could be with every one living in harmony and peace with each other, all living by the same code of life – well for the people of the Word it is possible because that is his promise that we will all be living in the same way when the King returns.
What an incredible future we have when we look at the Word of God as our source of inspiration rather than to the Worlds newspapers. For me the Bible has been a road map for me for many years and I can honestly say that without God and His teachings I would not be here today. I am now 55 and have many years ahead of me God willing to share Gods wonderful plan for mankind.